Press Release for 2012 Coastal Cleanup - Philippines
International Coastal Cleanup in the Philippines Set for October 6, 2012
Join the movement for Trash Free Seas by pledging to Take on the Trash
Manila, Philippines - Ocean Conservancy / ICC Philippines and the Philippine Coast Guard Auxiliary (PCGA) announces the 27th annual International Coastal Cleanup, will be held on October 6, 2012 instead of the September 15, 2012. The national coordinators in the administration of the ICC Philippines are asking volunteers around the world to pledge to Take on the Trash. Those who pledge will help build the collective movement for Trash Free Seas – both by reducing their own trash impact and helping clean up what’s already out there.
“Trash jeopardizes the health of our ocean, our economy and people,” said David Pittenger, director of Ocean Conservancy’s Trash Free Seas program. “Sometimes there are uncontrollable events – like the Japan tsunami – that add to the larger problem of marine debris. That’s why it’s important to tackle what’s preventable.”
“We need more volunteers than ever,” Pittenger said. “Last year, volunteers found enough food packaging to get takeout for breakfast, lunch and dinner every day for the next 858 years.”
The Cleanup is part of a growing movement to tackle ocean trash at every point in the lifecycle. Here are six ways to Take on the Trash:
- Join the International Coastal Cleanup: Check out signuptocleanup.org to find cleanup opportunities.
- Sign the pledge and invite your friends to Take on the Trash: build the movement to reduce the impact of trash on our ocean.
- Clean up in your neighborhood
- Check out Ocean Conservancy’s new mobile app, Rippl: Sign up to be among the first to know when it’s released. Rippl helps you make sustainable lifestyle choices by delivering weekly green living tips and helping to build new habits that lead to a lower trash impact.
- Support Trash Free Seas: Donate to help.
- Get Inspired: Check out Ocean Conservancy’s running list of features, blog posts and more.
For more information on the 2012 International Coastal Cleanup, please contact:
Capt. Gerry Reyes PCGA / Commo Ramon Sebastia-Moreno PCGA or Lt Willier Ello PCGA
Tel No (632) 378-1134 (PCGA Main Headquarters)
You can get your ICC Information Kit at the National Main Office of the Philippine Coast Guard Auxiliary (PCGA) beside the CCP Complex, Manila and Sun Cruises Ferry (See Map)
You may also download ICC information materials at: https://sites.google.com/site/coastalcleanuppcga/download-forms-reports-etc